Netherlands - 'The Gateway to Europe'
Did You Know ?
- The Netherlands provides access to 95 per cent of Europe’s most lucrative consumer markets within 24 hours of Amsterdam.
- The Netherlands is truly densely populated. 17 million people living on a piece of land 2.7 times that of Northern Ireland….with 10 times the population !
- The Netherlands has an important and strategic coastal location at the heart of Europe. The Port of Rotterdam, Europe's largest port and 4th largest worldwide, and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, a major European air-freight and passenger hub are supported by an extensive network of roads, railways, inland waterways and pipelines into Europe.
- The Netherlands features one of the most highly educated, multilingual, flexible and motivated workforces in Europe.
- These are sectors that are leading the way in innovation and sustainability, collaborating with Dutch knowledge institutes on world- class research and development.
- Key Dutch companies include Unilever, Shell, ING, Aegon, Heineken, Akzo Nobel, Randstad, Philips, VDL, KPN, Ahold, DSM and may more.
Key Sectors in the Netherlands:
- Agriculture and food sector - World’s 2nd largest exporter of agricultural products
- Life sciences and health sector - Approximately 360 innovative life sciences companies clustered within a 120-mile radius.
- Chemical sector - Hosts sixteen of the world’s top 25 leading chemical companies. A production value of €87 billion ranks it 5th globally in chemical exports.
- Water Sector - Renowned for an integrated water management and multi-disciplinary approach that balances social, environmental and engineering needs.
- Horticulture Sector - A global trendsetter and the undisputed international market leader in owners, plants, bulbs and propagation material.
- High Tech Sector - World leader in designing, developing and making high-tech equipment and micro/nano components.
- Creative Sector - 3rd largest exporter of television formats globally, as well as world-leading developer of computer games and pioneer in the area of dance music and DJs.
- Logistics Sector - The quality of the Dutch transport infrastructure is ranked among the best in the world - maritime (1st), air (4th) road (2nd) and railroad (7th) in 2015.
- Energy Sector – A major natural gas producer and distributor throughout Europe, expertise in offshore wind energy, biomass and heat pumps.